Saturday, 27 October 2012

More Updates: Suntai arrives in Nat’l Hospital, Abuja …he is in a stable condition, says Jonathan

Governor Danbaba Suntai of Taraba State, who was involved in a plane crash on Thursday, was moved to the National Hospital in Abuja for further medical attention on Friday.

The governor and other survivors of the crash had earlier been admitted at a hospital in Yola, Adamawa State, where the crash occurred.
Suntai arrived in an ambulance belonging to the State House Medical Centre with registration number SH 576 at about 2pm amid tight security.

He was bandaged up and placed on a life support machine, complete with an oxygen mask and other gadgets, on arrival.

President Goodluck Jonathan was among early callers who paid the injured governor a solidarity visit in the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital on Friday.

Jonathan arrived in the hospital at about 3.15 pm and was received by the Chief Medical Director, Prof. Bello Shehu.
In a meeting with journalists after the visit, the President said Suntai’s condition was stable.

He said, “First, I have to thank God for what happened. A plane crash is not something that you can just wave off.

“We are quite happy that the governor is stable, I have seen him and I think the doctors are working very hard on him.

“I believe that God willing, he will be well soon.”
Shehu confirmed that the governor’s condition was stable.

“Governor Suntai is very stable. We will continue to observe him for the first 24 hours. There is no need to perform any surgical operation on him. He is very stable. Given what happened, we are very satisfied with the situation at the moment,” he said.

About 30 security personnel, comprising operatives of the State Security Service and policemen, were assigned to the hospital to guard the injured governor.

The security men prevented journalists from getting close to the private ward in the ICU where the governor was being treated.
Brandishing automatic weapons, the SSS operatives cordoned off the entrance to the ICU and threatened to cause physical harm to journalists if they dared to move close.

But sources at the hospital said the governor had developed neurological disorder from the crash.
Shedding light on neurological disorder, a neuro surgeon at the Cedarcrest Hospital in Abuja, Dr. Biodun Ogungbo, said, “Neuro trauma indicates mostly brain or spinal cord injury and it is often associated with lifetime morbidity, so early active management is crucial.

“The initial care for patients with acute brain or acute traumatic lesions of the neck is of paramount importance. Neurologic function of the brain and cord levels can be adversely affected by excessive motion. Ideally, treatment should start at the site of trauma.

“Safe and careful extrication, safe transportation and immobilisation in solid neck braces are crucial. Safe transportation is essential. These patients cannot and should not be moved without adequate protection and care.”
Also, Senator Emmanuel Bwacha told Saturday PUNCH that Suntai actually spoke briefly with some of his colleagues and other people who visited him in the hospital.

“He has been speaking to people, including me. He started speaking since Thursday night while in the Specialist Hospital, Yola,” Bwacha said.
Bwacha was one of those who accompanied the air ambulance that conveyed the injured governor to Abuja on Friday.

Culled From Punch

No comments: